Thursday, March 10, 2005

Sophie Scholl

I just saw a very important current German film. It was called Sophie Scholl - The Last Days. Sophie Scholl was a member of The White Rose, the resistance movement in Munich against the Nazis. The story isn't always told because, to tell the truth, they weren't really successful. But for me, that's not the point. The fact that throughout history there have been people who have stood up for what is right (no matter what the personal consequences), allows me to believe that they will in the future. And this hope allows me to have faith in humanity. Why so many people didn't stand up for what was right and just followed the Nazis??? I will never understand. But I will always remember Sophie Scholl.

She and her brother were caught distributing fliers at the LMU (the university that I currently attend). This film will probably not make it very far in America. It's not Hollywood enough because it tries to be really historically accurate. Even if you can't see this award winning movie, I do recommend reading up on The White Rose. I think it's important to learn from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you!!! That is a good story! Have you ever seen the film "Die Weisse Rose"? That is also about here and is also done very well.